I was able to get a couple pictures of the installed landscape fabric yesterday.
On Monday we finished up the final touches on the grading. We then proceeded to spread grass seed in and along the tail race. Last came the really hard job of laying out the landscape fabric. We still need to get a picture of the final look; I’ll try to get that on today.
Landscape Fabric Installation
We have been working on excavating the tail race to achieve the proper slope on the sides. Work is progressing quickly, and we are currently on schedule to be finished by our deadline of October 15.
My family stopped in for a visit today. My son loves the excavators, and can’t wait to ‘help’ daddy. My daughter just likes to watch from afar.
The grass seed is growing well, and it looks pretty green across the campground again. We spent last week removing the tree limbs and other miscellaneous debris as requested by the Lancaster County Conservation District. The new, larger excavator is also on site and ready to go.
My mom and my third grade teacher, Mrs. Helm, stopped in to check on the progress the other day.
Rodger went to the Society for the Preservation of Old Mills conference this past weekend. He had a great time meeting fellow mill enthusiasts and touring other mills in Virginia. He showed the Sickman’s Mill documentary put together by Nelson Sears and Smoky Roberts while the tour bus took everyone around to visit the mills. You can visit the SPOOM website at www.spoom.org.
We spread 300 pounds of grass seed and 80 bales of hay over the campground to cover all areas affected by work on the tail race. We have one small pile of top soil left. We are saving that to spread on the other side of the tail race, beside the A-frame house. We have scheduled rental of an even larger excavator for Tuesday, September 30. The original excavator would have been sufficient if the ground had been more stable near the edge of the tailrace; however, we now need a larger excavator to have the extended reach to get the proper angle on the far side of the tail race in just a couple of sections.
We have been continuing to work from morning until dark because we have to return the large excavator tomorrow. It is needed on another job site. We will continue to move and remove dirt using the loader that we have on site. My son, Wyatt, joined me for a little ride the other afternoon and again today. He loves the excavator and is waiting for a ride on the loader.
We also owe a huge ‘Thank You’ to our neighbor Dan who lives and works just up the up the road. He has been helping to run the loader every evening and this weekend to help us get as much done as possible while we have the use of the excavator. Check out the beautiful iron work he does at www.theleaningbarn.com.
We are continuing our excavation of the tail race. We have had to take down even more trees, and are moving dirt from some areas to fill in at other areas in the tail race. The goal is to create a 29′ wide tail race in total with gently sloping sides to help prevent erosion. We have been working all week from morning until dark trying to get all of the excavation done before this coming Monday. We’ll just have to see how far we get over the weekend. Although, even after the digging is done, there is still lots to do to finish the tail race project.
We hooked up an old Ford Explorer to the mill machinery to see what would run. Here is the result.
We are beginning work on our tail race by executing the E & S plan. It was developed by Eric R. Conrad, P.G. of Enola PA in conjunction with the Lancaster County Conservation District and the DEP over the past year. Step one is to install new silt fence along the creek side of the campground to prevent any run-off from getting into the Pequea creek. Next our friends Andy and Davy cut down the trees that were in the proposed excavation area of the tail race.